Asparagus and Walnut Puffs
Recipe courtesy of Walnut Marketing Board.
1 (9 to 10-inch square and 1/4-inch thick) sheet puff pastry, thawed if frozen
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 cup finely chopped California walnuts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
16 to 24 asparagus spears (2 or 3 per puff, depending on size)*
2 tablespoons walnut oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat; set aside.
- Place the puff pastry sheet on your work surface. Cut it in half, then cut each half into 4 strips, each about 2 in. wide. Place the strips on the prepared baking sheet. If the pastry has become soft, refrigerate for about 15 min. before continuing.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, Parmesan, basil, walnuts, salt and pepper, and stir until well mixed.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of cheese mixture over each pastry strip, spreading it almost to the edge. Press two or three asparagus spears into each cheese-topped strip (the thickness of the asparagus will determine how many spears are needed for each pastry). Drizzle with walnut oil.
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden and the asparagus is tender, about 25 minutes.
Makes 8 large puffs, or 8 servings.
*Use only the tender asparagus tips, about the top 4 inches from each spear, for this recipe. For variety, use a combination of green and white asparagus.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 370; Total Fat: 28g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Total Carbs: 19g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 12g; Sodium: 270mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Walnut Marketing Board.