Baked Artichoke Dip
This baked artichoke dip is a "hot" favorite at parties.
1/4 cup butter or margarine - divided use
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium red pepper, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley - divided use
1/3 cup mayonnaise
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
Pita chips, butter-type crackers or toast points for accompaniment
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet sauté onion, red pepper and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened.
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in large saucepan; stir in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Stir in milk. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and cream cheese until melted.
- Stir in the onion/pepper mixture, 1/4 cup parsley, mayonnaise, lemon juice, artichoke hearts, lemon peel and pepper.
- Spoon vegetable and cheese mixture into shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup parsley and serve with crackers or toast points.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.