Baked Camembert with Pears and Cranberries
Baked Camembert with pears and cranberries is a luscious and elegant hors d'oeuvre you will be proud to serve.
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
1 large egg
1 teaspoon water
1 large pear
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons dried cranberries
1 Camembert cheese round (8 ounces)
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Combine the egg and water in a small bowl to create a wash and reserve.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the pear slices and brown sugar and sauté until lightly softened, about 5 minutes and stir in dried cranberries.
- Remove from the heat and allow the fruit mixture to cool slightly.
- Unfold the pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to about an 11-inch square and cut off the corners to make a circle.
- Cut the Camembert in half using a sharp knife heated with hot water.
- Place the lower half of the Camembert in the center of the pastry sheet and top with half of the pear mixture.
- Place the top of the Camembert - cut side down - on top of the pears. Top with the remaining fruit mixture.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg mixture then fold the two opposite sides over the cheese. Trim the remaining two sides about 2-inches in from the cheese then brush with the egg mixture and fold them over onto the cheese. Press the edges to seal
- Place the cheese seam side down on a baking sheet brush with the remaining egg mixture. If you have extra time, cut decorative leaves from the reserve pastry scraps roll a few tiny pastry balls to make the picture complete
- Arrange the leaves and balls decoratively garnish with a little rosemary and brush with more of the egg mixture.
- Now bake in a preheated oven until its golden brown - about 20 minutes.
- Let it stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.