Blue Cheese & Walnut Appetizer Tart
Not only does this blue cheese and walnut tart make an elegant appetizer, it also pairs well with a dessert wine.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- For Pastry: In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water with fork until flour is just moistened.
- Shape into a ball and roll out on a lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle.
- Transfer to a 9 or 10-inch tart or pie pan, pressing firmly onto bottom and up the sides of pan. Trim excess pastry and prick all over with fork. Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- For Filling: Combine cream cheese and blue cheese in large mixing bowl, beating at medium speed until well blended and creamy.
- Gradually beat in the heavy cream, egg, salt and ground pepper until blended.
- Spread over baked pastry.
- Sprinkle with the roasted red pepper, walnuts and parsley.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is set. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.