"I bought a can of boiled peanuts the first time I was ever in Tennessee. They are really different and I guess you have to acquire a taste for them, but we liked them instantly." - Submitted by Dee Sherry
5 pounds green peanuts in their shells
1 cup kosher salt
5 quarts water
- Wash the peanuts in at least three exchanges of water.
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a large pot.
- Add nuts.
- Boil for 45 minutes or to desired doneness, firm to mushy.
- Turn off heat. Let cool in the water, this allows nut to absorb the salt.
- Can be frozen and later dropped into boiling salt water and served warm.
Makes 5 pounds.