Braised Stuffed Artichokes with Sweet Garlic and Pearl Onions
An elegant first course of braised stuffed aritchokes with garlic and pearl onions. Recipe by Chef Roberto Donna.
2 1/2 cups cubed day-old Italian bread, crust removed
1 large egg
4 ounces Wisconsin Pleasant Ridge Reserve cheese, cut in small cubes
2 tablespoons grated Wisconsin SarVecchio™ cheese
Juice of 1 lemon
6 fresh artichokes
24 pearl onions, peeled
12 roasted garlic cloves
3 anchovy filets
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup white wine
- For Stuffing: Heat oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Place bread cubes in food processor bowl fitted with metal blade. Process to make fine crumbs. Measure out 2 cups into large bowl. Add egg; toss to coat bread crumbs. Stir in both cheeses. Set aside.
- For Artichokes: Add lemon juice to kettle of water. Trim stem and outer rows of leaves from artichokes. Cut off top 1/4 of each artichoke. Scoop out interior of artichokes, including the fuzzy choke. Dip artichokes in lemon water often to prevent oxidation. Dry artichokes well. Stuff with cheese mixture.
- Place stuffed artichokes, stems up, in large lightly oiled baking dish. Add onions, garlic and anchovies to baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and wine.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil. Bake 45 minutes or until artichokes are tender, turning stem side down after 25 minutes.
- Final Preparation: Place artichokes on one large serving plate. Drizzle with sauce and decorate the plate with onions and garlic.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.