California Walnut Cheese Ball
Walnuts and cheese are an ever-popular entertaining duo. Use a food processor to speed preparation. Serve with assorted crackers, melba toast or celery sticks.
3 cups shredded old white Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
1 tablespoon port or sherry, optional
1/2 to 3/4 cup toasted* California Walnut pieces
- In food processor, combine all ingredients except walnuts. Pulse until mixture is smooth. Remove to medium bowl; cover and chill until slightly firm.
- Shape into a 5-inch ball or roll into 7 x 2-inch log.
- Roll in toasted walnuts to coat evenly. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill until firm.
- Allow to warm at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
- May be kept in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Makes one ball or log.
*To Toast Walnuts:
- Oven Method: Spread chopped walnuts evenly onto a baking sheet or in a shallow pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF (175ºC) for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir several times for even toasting. Be sure to keep an eye on them, they burn easily. Cool before using.
- Microwave Method: In glass pie plate spread 3/4 cup walnuts in a single layer. Microwave on HIGH 5 to 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Cool before using.
- Skillet Method: In large, dry skillet over medium to high heat, heat walnuts until lightly toasted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of California Walnuts.