The ideal springtime pairing, bright red and perfectly ripe fresh strawberries and luscious, rich chocolate.
2 pint baskets California strawberries
1/2 cup each semisweet, milk and white chocolate chips
Finely chopped toasted almonds or pistachios (optional)
- Line large baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Rinse strawberries and pat dry with paper towels.
- In separate small, microwave-safe bowls (such as custard cups) melt chocolates, one at a time, in microwave at 50-percent (medium) power, allowing 1 1/2 to 2 minutes each. Stir until smooth. (If not completely melted, microwave a few seconds longer.) Or, melt chocolate as package directs.
- Holding strawberry by stem end, dip into chocolate to cover about three-fourths of berry; dip into nuts, if desired, and lay on baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining strawberries, chocolate and nuts. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.
Makes about 8 servings (3 strawberries per serving).
For Double and Triple-Dipped Strawberries: After first coating of chocolate is set, dip into contrasting chocolate, leaving part of the first chocolate exposed. Repeat with third chocolate, if you wish, allowing each layer to set between dips.
To Drizzle Strawberries with Chocolate: Microwave chocolate in small plastic bag until melted; squeeze into one corner of bag. Lay strawberries close together on baking sheet. With scissors, cut a small hole in corner of bag, and move back and forth over strawberries, squeezing bag gently. Or, drizzle contrasting chocolate over strawberries that have been dipped. Refrigerate until set.
- Microwave melting times vary with amount of chocolate and wattage of your oven.
- Chocolate amounts are approximate; amount needed depends on size of strawberries, and whether or not they are single, double, triple-dipped or drizzled.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (3 strawberries): 193 calories; 13 g fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 59 mg sodium; 22 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 3 g protein.
Recipe provided courtesy California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.