Form and chill crab cakes for at least an hour before frying.
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
4 large eggs, beaten lightly
6 tablespoons sour cream
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
2 pounds lump crab meat, picked over
2 cups fine fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Tartar sauce as an accompaniment
Lemon wedges as an accompaniment
- In a bowl whisk together butter, eggs, sour cream, parsley, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt, and cayenne; stir in the crab meat and bread crumbs gently.
- Form 1/4-cup measures of the mixture into 3/4-inch thick cakes and transfer the crab cakes as they are formed to a baking sheet sprinkled with half the cornmeal. Sprinkle the crab cakes with the remaining cornmeal and chill, covered with plastic wrap, for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat until it is hot and cook crab cakes in batches, turning once on each side, until they are golden.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain. Keep crab cakes warm on a clean baking sheet in a 200°F (95°C) oven.
- Serve crab cakes with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
Makes about 24 crab cakes