Crispy Cheese Trio with Marinated Fruit and Vegetable Medley
Three types of cheeses are enrobed in phyllo dough and fried until crisp. Recipe by Chef Karim Lakhani.
1 large beet, shredded
1 Bartlett pear, shredded
1 cup shredded jicama
1 tablespoon minced chives
1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinaigrette (recipe to follow)
1 wheel (6 ounces) Wisconsin Brie cheese
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin Mozzarella cheese
1 1/8 cups (4 1/2 ounces) Wisconsin Gouda cheese
4 1/2 cups (about 5 ounces) frozen shredded phyllo dough, thawed*
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, beaten
24 leaves baby lettuce
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced shallot
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine beet, pear, jicama, chives and vinaigrette; refrigerate.
- Cut Brie cheese into six (1 ounce) wedges.
- Cut Mozzarella cheese into six (1 ounce) sticks.
- Cut Gouda cheese into six (3/4ounce) wedges.
- Separate phyllo dough into 18 portions of about 1/4 cup each; cover with damp towel.
- Dredge each piece of cheese in flour, dip in eggs, then coat in 1 portion of phyllo dough, pressing down to help phyllo adhere.
- Fry each cheese crisp in 375°F (190°C) oil for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
- For Red Wine Vinaigrette: Place vinegar in small bowl; whisk oil into vinegar in a steady stream. Stir in shallots, salt and pepper.
- To serve, place 4 lettuce leaves near top of each dinner plate. Place 1/2 cup chilled salad on each set of lettuce leaves. Arrange 1 of each variety of cheese crisps below salad. Drizzle 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinaigrette around each cheese trio. Serve warm.
Makes 6 servings.
*Shredded phyllo dough, known as kataifi, can be purchased in most Greek food stores. Fresh angel hair pasta may be substituted.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.