Dilly Cheese Trees
These festive, homemade tree-shaped cheese crackers are a great accompaniment with soups or appetizer dips and spread for the holidays.
1 2/3 cups (7 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dill weed
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons water
- Combine cheese and butter, mixing at medium speed with electric mixer until well blended. Add combined flour, seasonings and soda to cheese mixture; mix well. Add whipping cream; blend well.
- Divide dough in half. Flatten; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour.
- On lightly floured surface, roll to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut with 2 inch tree-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Brush tops with combined egg yolk and water; sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes about 60.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.