Down Home BBQ Popcorn
A little sweet, some smokiness, and a hefty shake of Cajun seasoning goes into this down home Southern Louisiana-style barbecue-flavored popcorn.
2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning mix
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
8 cups air-popped popcorn
1/4 cup butter, clarified (helps prevent sogginess; may use regular melted butter)
1 teaspoon liquid smoke*
- Combine brown sugar, Cajun seasoning mix, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder in a small bowl.
- To clarify butter, melt 1/4 cup butter. Cool slightly, then pour off the clear melted butter layer into a small bowl. Discard the opaque milky solids that remain behind.
- Stir the liquid smoke into the butter.
- Place popcorn in a large bowl, and drizzle it with butter mixture. Toss to coat the popcorn well.
- Sprinkle sugar-seasoning mixture over popcorn and toss to distribute evenly.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
Makes 8 cups.
*Liquid smoke can be found with the barbecue sauces/condiments section of large grocery stores.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.