Duck, Wild Mushroom and Fontina Cheese Strudel
An elegant appetizer, crisp phyllo dough enrobes a delicious duck confit. Recipe by Chef Ulrich Koberstein.
1/2 cup butter
8 ounces (about 3 cups) assorted wild mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, morel, etc.), cleaned and sliced 1/8-inch thick
1/4 cup shallots, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
4 cups fresh baby spinach
4 ounces duck confit, shredded*
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 large sheets phyllo dough (about 16x13 inches)
1/2 cup butter, melted and clarified
3 cups (12 ounces) Wisconsin Fontina Cheese, finely shredded - divided use
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in large sauté pan. Add mushrooms, shallots, garlic, rosemary and thyme; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until mushrooms render their liquid; reserve.
- In another large sauté pan, sauté spinach until wilted. Combine spinach with mushrooms and duck. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover phyllo dough with moist cloth to prevent drying. Remove one layer and place on work surface. Brush with clarified butter; sprinkle with about 1/2 cup Fontina Cheese. Repeat layers twice; end with layer of phyllo dough.
- Drain any liquid from mushroom and duck mixture; stir in 1 1/2 cups Fontina cheese. Place the filling along long edge of dough. Roll into uniform roll and fold ends under. Roll should resemble a large eggroll. Place on large baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and slice into 4 sections.
- Serve with a simple green salad dressed and your favorite dressing.
*Available in gourmet food stores.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.