Glazed Lemon and Poppy Seed Popcorn
This crunchy, sweet and lemony tart glazed popcorn, lightly laced with poppy seeds, is simply irresistible.
4 quarts unbuttered and unsalted popcorn (air-popped)
1 large egg white*
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (or foil sprayed with cooking spray).
- Spread popcorn onto prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg white, sugar, salt and lemon extract until foamy. Pour over popcorn and toss to coat evenly.
- Bake 20 minutes, stirring once midway through baking time.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Makes 4 quarts; 16 (1 cup) servings.
*The use of egg white helps the flavors adhere to the popcorn, without adding fat through the more traditional use of oils.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.