GranQueso® Crab Cakes
Crab cakes served with a roasted red pepper and basil-flavored aïoli.
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 small clove garlic, finely minced
12 ounces lump crabmeat
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded GranQueso cheese
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper, peeled and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For the Crab Cakes: In a sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the celery, onions, chopped bell peppers and minced garlic. Cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the crabmeat, cheese, green onions, eggs, 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, sherry vinegar, bread crumbs and cayenne. Stir in the sautéed vegetables. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours.
- For the Aïoli: While the crab mixture is chilling, combine the garlic, roasted red pepper, lemon juice, basil, 1/3 cup mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a food processor bowl with a metal blade. Process until finely chopped. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To complete the recipe, remove the crab mixture from the refrigerator and form 6 round cakes, 3 x 1-inch thick.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the crab cakes 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and thoroughly heated.
- Serve crab cakes with the aïoli.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.