Ham and Cheese Party Loaf
A loaf of French bread is stuffed with a savory ham salad and cubes of Swiss and cheddar cheese. Make ahead of time and keep well-wrapped in the refrigerator before slicing thinly to serve.
1 1/2 pounds ham, ground fine
10 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 1/2 ounces Swiss cheese, in one piece
1 1/2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, in one piece
1 long slender loaf French bread, about 12 ounces
- In large bowl combine butter, mustard, allspice, nutmeg, pepper and thyme; mix until smooth. Add ground ham to butter mixture; blending well.
- Slice Swiss and cheddar cheese into 1/4-inch thick sticks.
- Turn bread top side down; cut off ends. Make a lengthwise cut down the center of the loaf from one end to the other, being careful not to cut through top side. Spread the bread apart carefully; hollow it out, leaving about 1/2-inch thick shell. (The bread removed from the center can be dried and used for bread crumbs).
- Press half the ham mixture into the bread. Arrange the Swiss cheese sticks lengthwise in one row; arrange the gherkins as the center row, the cheddar as the third row. Press the remaining ham mixture on top. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; then in foil. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- To serve, slice filled loaf thinly; arrange slices, overlapping, on serving tray.
Makes about 24 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.