Herbed Smoked Gouda Rice Squares
Serve these tasty appetizer herb-seasoned rice and smoked gouda squares warm or at room temperature.
1 cup uncooked medium or short-grain rice
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 egg white
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Smoked Gouda cheese
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup green onions, including green tops, finely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In medium saucepan, bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil. Add rice and salt. Cook about 18 minutes, until rice is tender but not mushy. Remove from heat and toss with a fork.
- In large bowl, lightly beat egg and egg white. Add rice, cheese, butter and milk. Add green onions, dill, parsley and cayenne; stir gently until well mixed.
- Press mixture into lightly greased 9 inch-square baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 35 minutes, or until rice begins to brown lightly around edges and become crusty. Cool on wire rack 20 minutes.
- Cut into 2 inch squares. Arrange on platter to serve as finger food.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.