Honey Champagne Fondue
Serve this elegant champagne-spiked, honey-sweetened Swiss cheese fondue with chunks of crusty bread cubes (French, rye, pumpernickel), Granny Smith apple slices, carrots and steamed broccoli.
16 ounces Swiss or Gruyere cheese, shredded
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups brut (dry) champagne, or sparkling wine
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Toss cheese with cornstarch and dry mustard to coat; reserve.
- In a heavy pan or fondue pot, over medium heat, melt butter. Sauté shallot and garlic until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add champagne and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add reserved cheese mixture, a little at a time, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.
- Stir in honey and lemon juice; stir until smooth and continue to simmer 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Season with nutmeg and pepper.
- Serve immediately; keep warm.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.