Mini Beef Tacos with Citrus Salsa
This recipe takes tacos to an impressive place for your next party. Bright flavors and a bit of heat will wow your guests.
This dish is an excellent source of vitamin B12 and zinc; and a good source of fiber, protein, vitamin B6 and selenium.
1/3 cup chopped jicama
1/3 cup chopped orange
1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeño pepper
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 cup mashed avocado
1 tablespoon low-fat dairy sour cream
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
2 (8-ounce) beef Flat Iron Steaks
12 corn tortillas (6 to 7-inch diameter)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt and ground black pepper
- For Citrus Salsa: Combine ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper as desired. Set aside.
- For Avocado Cream: Combine ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper as desired. Set aside.
- For Rub: Combine ingredients; press evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 12 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Transfer steaks to carving board.
- Meanwhile, cut 1 "mini tortilla" from each tortilla* with 4-inch diameter cookie cutter. Discard tortilla scraps or save for another use. Lightly brush both sides of mini tortillas with oil. Grill over medium heat 1 to 3 minutes or until lightly crisp, turning once.
- Carve steaks lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Top each mini tortilla with equal amounts of avocado cream, beef slices and salsa. Serve immediately.
Makes 12 mini tacos.
*Four-inch mini corn tortillas are available in Hispanic markets and some large supermarkets.
Tip: To pan-broil steaks, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 13 to 15 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 153 calories; 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 24 mg cholesterol; 36 mg sodium; 14 g carbohydrate; 2.7 g fiber; 9 g protein; 1.7 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 1.3 mg iron; 12.4 mcg selenium; 3.0 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Beef, It's What's For Dinner©.