Original Chex® Party Mix
Still great after all these years! Chex® Party Mix has been a party favorite since the 1960's.
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
3 cups Corn Chex® cereal
3 cups Rice Chex® cereal
3 cups Wheat Chex® cereal
1 cup mixed nuts
1 cup bite-size pretzels
1 cup garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips or regular-size bagel chips, broken into 1-inch pieces
- Heat oven to 250°F (120°C).
- In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until evenly coated.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes.
- Store in airtight container.
Makes 24 (1/2 cup) servings.
Microwave Directions: In large microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until evenly coated. Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.
- The original recipe includes Corn Chex®, Rice Chex® and Wheat Chex®. You can mix and match to suit your taste--just use a total of 9 cups of cereal.
- To reduce the fat to 2 grams and the calories to 80 per serving, use 3 tablespoons margarine instead of the 6 tablespoons butter, omit mixed nuts and use fat-free bagel chips.
- Make enough of this favorite mix to package up as gifts for special friends--it’s so good and always a welcome surprise.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of www.chex.com, through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.