Choose your favorite flavor of gelatin to make this candied popcorn treat. For a more festive look, add colored candy sprinkles.
2 quarts (8 cups) popped popcorn
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 (3-ounce) package gelatin, any flavor
Colored candy sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C).
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper or foil; set aside.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray (to reduce sticking) and place popcorn inside; set aside.
- Heat butter, corn syrup and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to blend.
- When butter is melted, stir in gelatin until completely dissolved.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Immediately pour hot mixture over popcorn and stir to coat completely.
- Spread onto prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake 12 minutes; cool in pan.
- Break into small pieces to serve. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 8 (1 cup) servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.