Serve these sweet taste treats as part of an ample cheese platter.
2 tablespoons red wine
1 whole cinnamon stick
1 (2-inch) slice lemon peel, yellow part only
8 large dried Mission figs
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Put the wine, cinnamon stick, and lemon peel in a medium saucepan and add 2 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes to allow the cinnamon and lemon to steep.
- Add the figs and bring back to a gently simmer, uncovered, over medium heat. Remove from heat, cover and let sit until the figs have softened, about 40 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, spread the pine nuts in a single layer in a small saucepan and over medium-heat toast the nuts on top of the stove, shaking the pan often, until they are nicely toasted.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, honey, lemon zest, and pine nuts.
- Carefully slice off the top (stem end) of each fig. Using a teaspoon, stuff as much filling into the center of each as you can without forcing it to split. Refrigerate until chilled through, about 3 hours.
Makes 8 appetizers.