Soy-Chili Chicken Wings
Your guests will love these Asian-style hot wings with their thick soy-chili glaze.
2 pounds chicken wing drumettes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon chili oil or 2 small dried hot red chiles
4 quarter-size slices fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 green onions
1 cup water
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan over high heat. Add chicken, a portion at a time (do not crowd pan); cook, turning as needed, until browned on all sides.
- Return all chicken to pan, then add soy sauce, wine, sugar, chili oil, ginger, garlic, whole onions and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat near bone is no longer pink (cut to test), about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and boil, turning chicken often, until sauce is thick enough to coat wings, about 10 minutes. If made ahead, let cool; cover and refrigerate until next day.
- Serve warm or at room temperature; to reheat, place chicken in a single layer on baking sheets and heat in a 350°F (175°C) oven until warm.
Makes 8 servings.