Spicy Cheese Spread with Pita Chips
A gift of this spicy chili cheese spread with crispy homemade pita chips will be appreciated during the holiday party season.
Spicy Cheese Spread:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon milk
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
4 large pita bread rounds
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- For Spicy Cheese Spread: Combine first 6 ingredients, mixing well.
- Spoon into 2 (1/2 cup) containers and sprinkle with paprika. cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Pita Chips: Separate each bread round into 2 pieces; cut each piece into 8 edges. Place in a large heavy duty zip-top plastic bag.
- Combine butter and remaining ingredients and drizzle over pita wedges. Seal bag and shake to coat well.
- Place wedges in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 300°F (150°C) for 30 minutes or until crisp.
- Cool completely and divide in half. Store in airtight containers.
Makes 2 (1/2 cup) cheese spread gift containers and 2 (32-chip) gift bags.
DIRECTIONS FOR GIFT CARD: Store Spicy Cheese Spread in refrigerator up to 1 week; serve with Pita Chips.
Adapted from a recipe from Southern Living.