Stuffed Cajun-Style Mushrooms
A medley of flavorful ingredients go into these stuffed mushrooms.
1 pound large, fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely diced pepperoni
1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic, pressed
2 cups crushed Ritz brand cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Wash mushrooms and dry; remove stems, set caps aside and chop the stems.
- Melt butter in a skillet; add onion and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add pepperoni, green pepper, garlic, and chopped mushroom stems. Cook 10 minutes, until tender. Add crumbs, cheese, parsley, salt, oregano, and pepper. Mix well; stir in broth.
- Spoon stuffing into mushroom caps, rounding the tops. Place in a shallow pan with about 1/4-inch water.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
Makes about 12 to 14 appetizers.