Tapas of Short Ribs with Honey Chimichurri Sauce
These tender, incredibly delicious short ribs can be served either as tapas (appetizers) or as a main dish served in larger portions.
1 cup dark honey
1 bay leaf, finely chopped
1 pint extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup chopped white onion
3 tablespoons garlic
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 bunch Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons red bell pepper, minced
1 lemon, for juice and zest
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
12 pork short ribs
1/2 cup olive oil
Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dark honey, cilantro, Italian parsley, bell pepper, lemon, oregano, vinegar, smoked paprika, sea salt and black pepper to make the marinade. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Season the ribs with salt and black pepper and cut the ribs into serving portions.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, slowly sear the ribs until they are cooked and slightly browned. Pour off the excess olive oil and add 1/2 of the marinade over the ribs. Cover the pot with foil and place the pot in the oven for 90 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven and carefully place the ribs on a large platter.
- Serve the ribs with bowls of the chimichurri dipping sauce and garnish with large sprigs of cilantro.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Honey Board.