Triple Play Walnut Crunch
Recipe courtesy of Rosemary Mark for the Walnut Marketing Board.
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups California walnut pieces
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread oats and walnuts on a baking sheet that has a low rim, or use a roasting pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes, until the walnuts and oats smell toasted and start to brown.
- While oats and walnuts are toasting, combine brown sugar, oil, honey and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Pour hot oats and walnuts from the pan into the sugar mixture. Add coconut. Stir all the ingredients together until evenly coated with the sugar. Mixture will look dry.
- Line the baking pan with a piece of aluminum foil so it extends over the ends of the pan. Spray foil with cooking spray. Spread oat-walnut mixture onto foil. Bake 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir. Bake additional 5 minutes until toasted and golden brown. Remove from oven and stir again. Cool completely on pan. Break crunch into chunks. Lift edges of foil and pour crunch into an airtight container or plastic bag.
Makes 12 servings.
Tip: Measure the honey in the spoon you used for the oil, the honey will slip right off the spoon!
Triple Play Serving Suggestions:
- Grand Slam Berry Crisp: Put fresh or frozen berries in a small bowl and top with Triple Play Walnut Crunch. Microwave 1 minutes or just until warm. Serve with vanilla yogurt or ice cream.
- Home Run Breakfast Cereal: Add fresh or dried fruit to a bowlful of All-Star Walnut Crunch. Top with yogurt or milk.
- It's-A-Steal Energy Mix: Combine Triple Play Walnut Crunch with raisins, cranberries and dried apricots (or favorite dried fruits) and pack in a bag for a take-along energy snack.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 250; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 10mg; Total Carbs: 24g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 3mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Walnut Marketing Board.