Vietnamese Egg Rolls
These tasty egg rolls are perfect appetizers to serve at your next party.
6 dried shiitake mushrooms
6 ounces ground pork
6 ounces frozen or canned crabmeat, defrosted and drained
5 ounces raw shrimp, finely chopped
1/3 cup chopped water chestnuts
1/4 cup bamboo shoots, sliced into matchstick-size pieces
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
3 tablespoons MAGGI Seasoning Sauce
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
20 to 25 round rice paper sheets
Vegetable oil for frying
Lettuce leaves, shredded carrots, rice noodles and bean sprouts (optional)
- For Filling: Soak mushrooms in hot water for 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and squeeze to extract the liquid. Finely chop mushrooms; place in large bowl. Add pork, crabmeat, shrimp, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, shallots, seasoning sauce, sugar, cornstarch, pepper and oil; mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- For Rolls: Place warm water in large bowl. Add sugar; stir until dissolved. One at a time, immerse sheets of rice paper in the water for 1 minute or until soft. Remove and spread flat on a dry towel.
- Put 1 rounded tablespoon of filling on center of 1 sheet of rice paper about 2 inches from the edge. Press filling into compact rectangle. Fold top of paper tightly over filling. Fold one side of paper over filling, then the other side. Roll from bottom to top to completely enclose filling, making sure paper is folded and rolled tightly to prevent filling from coming out. Repeat with remaining filling and rice papers.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan to 325°F (160°C). Add 3 rolls at a time; fry for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove rolls; place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve wrapped in lettuce leaves with carrots, rice noodles and bean sprouts.
Makes 20 to 25 egg rolls.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/20 of recipe): Calories: 200 Calories from Fat: 80 Total Fat: 8 g Saturated Fat: 1.5 g Cholesterol: 25 mg Sodium: 430 mg Carbohydrates: 23 g Dietary Fiber: 1 g Sugars: 2 g Protein: 8 g
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® & Meals.com, used with permission.