If you love the flavor of wasabi, you're gonna love these homemade chips no matter which shape you choose to make -- potato sticks, wedges or chips. Recipe courtesy of Michael C. Brown, Corporate Executive Chef, Metro Restaurants.
2 large Idaho®; potatoes (12 ounces to 14 ounces each)
Canola or other non-hydrogenated oil
1 tablespoon wasabi powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Peel potatoes and slice into desired shape (1/2-inch sticks, wedges or 1/8-inch thick chips); rinse and pat dry.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or deep-sided saucepan to 275°F (135°C) and blanch potatoes 5 minutes, cooking in batches if necessary. Drain and set aside until ready to serve.
- Mix together dry seasonings.
- Increase oil temperature to 350°F (175°C). Cook fries until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes for sticks and wedges and 1 to 2 minutes for chips.
- Sprinkle hot fries with seasoning mix and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission.