Apple Pie Bars
This recipe just might be an apple pie masquerading as dessert bars!
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg - divided use
1 cup butter
6 to 8 tart green apples
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, butter and salt with a pastry blender.
- Separate egg; set aside egg white at room temperature.
- Put egg yolk into a glass measuring cup and fill with milk to measure 2/3 cup. Pour into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half and roll out on a lightly floured surface to fit a cookie or baking sheet. Save other half of dough for top crust.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Arrange slices in side by side rows on unbaked bottom crust to make 1/2-inch layer.
- Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon and 4 tablespoons flour, mixing well. Sprinkle mixture over apples.
- Roll out top crust and place over apple slices, pinch and seal edges.
- Beat the egg white until stiff and spread over the top of crust. Sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar over the top of egg white.
- Bake at 450°F (230°C) for 10 minutes.
- Reduce to 400°F (205°C) and bake about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and cut into 2 1/2-inch bars.
Makes about 36 bars.