Apple Cranberry Nut Bars
A great take-along snack packed with the goodness of grains and fruit.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick oats
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large egg whites
1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1/4 cup chopped nuts
2 tablespoons flaked coconut (optional)
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir to blend.
- Add buttermilk, oil, and egg whites; beat just until blended. Stir in apple, dried fruit, and nuts. Spread batter evenly in pan and top with coconut, if desired.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool and cut into 10 bars.
Makes 10 Bars.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Protein 4g; Fat: 7g; Carbohydrate: 39g; Fiber: 2g; Sodium: 298mg; Cholesterol: .6mg; Calories: 232.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.