Apple Crumb Bars
These scumptious dessert bars will remind you of apple streusel pie.
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup quick rolled oats
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1 cup quick or old-fashioned (rolled) oats
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 large egg, beaten
4 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan.
- Prepare Crumb Topping: In medium bowl, combine flour, oats, and sugar. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine oats, 1 cup flour, the brown sugar, baking powder, and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in beaten egg. Spread mixture evenly in pan.
- Toss apples with sugar, remaining 1/4 cup flour, and the nutmeg. Spread apples over oatmeal layer. Sprinkle Crumb Topping in a diagonal pattern over apples.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until apples are tender.
Makes 40 Bars.
Tip: To yield 40 bars, divide the 15-inch-long side into 8 sections. Divide the perpendicular 10-inch-long side into 5 sections.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/40 of recipe): protein: 1g; fat: 5g; carbohydrate: 15g; fiber: 1g; sodium: 71mg; cholesterol: 12mg; calories: 103.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.