Black-Bottom Banana Bars
A very moist bar, richly flavored with banana and chocolate.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat until thoroughly combined. Blend in the bananas.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and stir to just mix.
- Divide batter in half.
- Add cocoa to half the batter; spread into prepared baking pan.
- Spoon remaining batter on top and swirl with a spatula or knife.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the bars test done.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Makes 24 bars.