Butterscotch Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
Here's a brownie for butterscotch fans. The cream cheese balances out the sweetness of the butterscotch nicely.
Cream Cheese Swirl:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 /2 teaspoon salt
2 cups butterscotch chips
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 18 x 12 x 1-inch jelly roll pan. To prepare the cream cheese filling: In a medium-size bowl, beat the cream cheese and the sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat well. Add the flour and beat until incorporated. Set aside.
- In a medium-size saucepan over low heat, melt the butterscotch chips and the butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and beat in the brown sugar until well blended. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs one at a time into the butterscotch mixture. Add the vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients, beating until well combined. Stir in the walnuts. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Drop the cream cheese mixture by teaspoonfuls over the batter. Using a small knife, swirl the cream cheese mixture by teaspoonfuls over the batter. Using a small knife, swirl the cream cheese into the batter, forming a decorative pattern.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of pan comes out with moist crumbs attached. Do not overbake. Allow to cool to room temperature, or overnight, before cutting and serving.
Makes 48 brownies.