Caramel Nut Brownies
This recipe turns a cake mix for German chocolate cake into fabulous caramel nut brownies.
1 (18.25-ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup pecans, chopped
1 (14-ounce) package soft caramel candies
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, combine German chocolate cake mix, softened butter, vanilla, and 1/3 cup evaporated milk. Blend well, then stir in chopped pecans. Spread half of the batter in an 8-inch pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F (175°C). for 6 minutes.
- For the filling, in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, melt caramel candies and stir in the other 1/3 cup evaporated milk; stirring until smooth.
- Sprinkle semisweet chocolate chips over the baked cake mixture and spread the melted caramel mixture on top. Pour the remaining batter over all.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C). for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the batter is set. Cool.
Makes 16 Brownies.