Carrot Apple Squares
These moist and delicious, cake-like spiced carrot and apple squares make healthy lunch treats or after-school snacks. Tip: The batter can also be used to make muffins.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup grated apple
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a separate bowl cream together butter, sugar and egg, add vanilla stirring until blended.
- Slowly stir in the flour mixture, followed by carrots, apples and raisins. Mix well and pour into a 13x9x2-inch pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until tested done.
- Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice (enough to make a thin glaze).
- Spread glaze evenly on top of the slightly cooled, but still warm cake. Let cool completely before cutting.
- If making muffins; fill each lined muffin tin 2/3 full. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or when wooden pick inserted into center of one muffin comes out clean.
Makes 24 squares.