Crumble-topped cheesecake squares with a nutty brown sugar shortbread crust.
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 large egg
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add flour and nuts, mixing well. Mixture should resemble coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 8-inch square pan.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Blend sugar with cream cheese until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Spread mixture over hot baked crust and sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Cool, cut into 2-inch squares and refrigerate.
Makes 16 squares.