Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies
A two-layered brownie bar, the first layer is a chewy chocolate brownie, which is topped with a vanilla-flavored cheesecake layer.
Chocolate Brownie Layer:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 (1-ounce) square baking chocolate
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Chocolate Brownie Layer: Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan; remove from heat and add chocolate. Let stand a few minutes and then stir until chocolate is melted.
- With an electric mixer, beat eggs and salt until frothy. Gradually add sugar, beating about 2 minutes until pale yellow and thick.
- Stir in chocolate mixture, then flour, mixing to blend.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared baking pan.
- For Cheesecake Layer: With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and eggs until smooth. Blend in flour, then water and vanilla.
- Pour cheesecake mixture over chocolate layer.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until top is set but not browned. A wooden pick inserted in the center should come out slightly sticky. (Overbaking will cause brownies to be dry.) Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 2-inch squares.
Makes 16 brownies.