A classic recipe for chewy, chocolate brownies.
3/4 cup butter
6 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Combine butter and chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Set over a pan of barely simmering water and stir until just melted. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat sugar and eggs until well blended. Whisk in vanilla and salt. Mix in chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined. Gently stir in flour; fold in walnuts, if using.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out clean. Do not overbake; center should be set but not dry.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
Makes 24 brownies.