These coconut and maraschino cherry blonde brownies have a secret ingredient - biscuit baking mix.
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups biscuit baking mix
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup coconut, flaked
1/2 cup almond, chopped
3 tablespoons biscuit baking mix
1/4 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cream together brown sugar and softened butter. Stir in 1 1/2 cups biscuit baking mix.
- Press in an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs in a medium bowl then mix in sugar and almond extract. Stir in flaked coconut, chopped almonds, and 3 tablespoons biscuit baking mix. Spread over the baked mixture.
- Arrange chopped maraschino cherries on top.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool before cutting.
Makes 24 brownies.