Creamy Way Galaxy Brownies
with Sour Cream and Mascarpone Cheese
An ordinary brownie mix is given a make-over with the addition of sour cream and instant coffee and frosted with a thick and creamy mascarpone topping.
1 1/2 tablespoons freeze-dried coffee
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 (21 to 24-ounce) package brownie mix
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs, beaten
1 (8-ounce) container Wisconsin Mascarpone Cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cocoa, bittersweet chocolate shavings or nuts for garnish (optional)
- For Brownies: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter bottom only of 9x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Dissolve freeze-dried coffee in boiling water in large bowl. Add brownie mix, sour cream, melted butter and eggs; mix well. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan and center is just set (do not over bake). Place pan on wire cooling rack; cool completely.
- For Topping: Stir Wisconsin Mascarpone Cheese until soft, add whipping cream, sugar and vanilla. Continue stirring until mixture is smooth. (Overmixing will cause curdling.) Spread topping over brownies.
- Cut into 3-inch squares. Garnish with cocoa, chocolate shavings or nuts, if desired. Cover lightly and refrigerate until serving time.
Makes 9 brownies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.