Harvest Fruit Bars
These spiced oat and banana cookie bars, studded with dried fruit, are the perfect snack anytime of the day.
1 (6-ounce) package diced dried mixed fruit bits
1 cup chopped banana (about 2 medium)
2/3 cup orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice or ground cinnamon - divided use
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In medium bowl, combine dried fruit, banana, orange juice and 1 teaspoon of apple pie spice; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, oats and remaining 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice; mix well.
- In large bowl, beat margarine and sugar together with electric mixer until creamy. Add oat mixture; beat until crumbly. Reserve 3/4 cup mixture for topping.
- Press remaining oat mixture onto bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Spread fruit evenly over crust to within 1/4-inch of edge. Add nuts to reserved oat mixture; mix well. Sprinkle evenly over fruit; pat down lightly.
- Bake 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely; cut into bars. Store loosely covered.
Makes 24 bars.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Quaker Oats Company.