Holiday Strawberry Squares
A delightful springtime dessert, these refreshing strawberry dessert squares have a pecan shortbread crust topped with a creamy meringue-like strawberry filling.
1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup pasteurized egg white product or 2 large fresh egg whites
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
12 fresh whole strawberries with stems for garnish
- Partially thaw frozen strawberries.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl combine flour, brown sugar, chopped pecans, and melted butter. Spread in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool; stir to crumble. Reserve 1/3 cup of the crumbs.
- In a mixer bowl combine the partially thawed strawberries, egg white product, sugar, and lemon juice. Beat at high speed for 15 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Whip cream with an electric mixer at medium speed until stiff. Fold into the strawberry mixture and spoon into the prepared dish. Sprinkle with the reserved crumbs.
- Freeze, covered, for 8 hours or until firm.
- Cut into squares and garnish with 12 whole strawberries.
Makes 12 servings.