Iced Coconut Pecan Bars
These rich bars are reminiscent of pecan pie. The slightly tart citrus icing adds another dimension of taste that is very pleasing in contrast to the coconutty-brown sugar filling.
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- For Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and shortening. Stir in 1 1/2 cups flour, mixing well. Place mixture in an lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan and press evenly onto the bottom of the pan using a sheet of plastic wrap (or waxed paper) the length of the pan to make the process easier.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- For Filling: In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and baking powder; add the eggs and mix well. Stir in the coconut and pecans. Spread filling over the baked crust.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Frost with icing when completely cooled. Cut into 3 x 1-inch bars, or as desired.
- For Icing: Combine all ingredients until smooth. Spread over cooled bars.
Makes 30 bars.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/30 of recipe): 149.1 calories; 47% calories from fat; 8.0g total fat; 19.0mg cholesterol; 24.5mg sodium; 51.3mg potassium; 18.4g carbohydrates; 0.4g fiber; 12.8g sugar; 18.0g net carbs; 1.3g protein.