A traditional German treat at Christmas, this gingerbread-like cookie bar is studded with dried fruits and nuts, iced with a lemon glaze and garnished with candied cherries and citron.
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 cup honey
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup mixed candied fruits
1/2 cup citron
1 cup chopped walnuts
Lemon Glaze (recipe follows)
Candied cherries and citron for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly roll pan; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat sugar and egg until smooth and fluffy. add honey, lemon peel and juice; beating well.
- In medium bowl, sift flour with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda and salt; gradually mix into egg-sugar mixture on low speed.
- Stir in fruits and nuts. Spread batter in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly in on wire rack; brush with Lemon Glaze. Cool completely.
- Cut into diamonds and decorate with candied cherries and slivers of citron, if desired. Store covered in container for up to 1 month.
Makes 48 bars.
Lemon Glaze: In a small bowl, combine 1 cup powdered sugar with enough lemon juice (1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons) to make a thin glaze.