Classic lemon bars with a tender, shortbread crust topped with a luscious, sweet-tart lemon filling and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
4 large eggs
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- For Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)*. Lightly grease the sides only of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, powdered sugar and softened butter until well combined.
- Press crust mixture firmly and evenly onto the bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For Lemon Filling: In a mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, eggs and lemon juice until well combined, about 2 to 3 minutes. Pour mixture over the hot crust.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until filling is set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into bars.
Makes 24 servings.
*If using a dark-colored baking pan, reduce the oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): 201.3 calories; 37% calories from fat; 8.6g total fat; 55.6mg cholesterol; 76.2mg sodium; 27.2mg potassium; 29.5g carbohydrates; 0.3g fiber; 20.9g sugar; 29.1g net carbs; 2.3g protein.