With a tender shortbread crust and tangy lemon topping, these bars are a welcome treat any time of the year.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium bowl cream together flour, butter and powdered sugar and press into a 13x9x2-inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat eggs, sugar, lemon juice, baking powder and salt.
- Pour over the warm baked crust then return to the oven and continue baking for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely and sprinkle with extra powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes 24 squares.