Lemon syrup gives these squares an extra burst of citrus flavor.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
2/3 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and orange peel; mix well. Pour into a greased 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or until center is set.
- Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl; pour the syrup on top of warm cake and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Baste the top with any syrup that collects around the edges.
- Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before cutting into bars.
Makes 16 bars.