Oregon Blueberry-Lemon Squares
These scrumptious cookie bars have a shortbread crust with a lemony fresh blueberry custard filling.
2 cups rinsed Oregon blueberries
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Mix flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar until blended. Mix in butter, cut into small pieces with a large fork until dough holds together when squeezed. Press evenly over the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°) oven until crust is golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, whisk eggs together with granulated sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice and baking powder. Stir in Oregon blueberries.
- Pour egg mixture over warm, baked crust. Return to the oven and bake until the filling is firm and does not move when gently shaken, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with teaspoon powdered sugar and let cool at least 15 minutes. Serve warm or cool.
Makes 24 bars.
Recipe created by Lorely French of Forest Grove, Oregon, 2nd place.
Recipe provided courtesy of Oregon Blueberry Commission.