Pineapple Crumb Bars
Sit back, relax and enjoy every delicious bite of these moist, tropically-inspired bars.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter or margarine, chilled
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/4 cups crushed pineapple chunks, drained
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture, adding the macadamia nuts, and set aside.
- Press remainder of the dough into bottom of an ungreased 9-inch baking pan.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan; stir in pineapple chunks, orange juice and orange peel. Cook, stirring until thick and bubbly, then spread over crumb layer.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture on top and press in lightly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into bars.
Makes 16 bars.